Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The House and The Hood






Well, we did it. We bought a house in 'Merica. It's a trilevel in a quiet, multi-ethnic subdivision full of retired military couples, widows, widowers, and a few families with school-aged children. Buying a house turns out to be complicated. Mandatory flood insurance, offers and counter-offers, and meetings with lawyers are big, adult things that we were not always prepared for. In fact, we actually showed up to our closing without the down payment....but that's another story. In the end, we closed on the house at the end of March, and family has helped us make it pretty and fill it with furniture. The kids love all the different rooms to play in, and even found a “slide” in one of the closets (the floor is sloped).

When we first moved in, a lot of people asked me, “Are you SO happy to finally have your own place?” I said yes, because I am happy and feel blessed beyond measure. But I don't think I was quite as exuberant as everyone hoped. For one thing, digging down 30-year-mortgage-roots is a scary prospect for an adventure-loving missionary-at-heart girl like me. I know this is where God wants my family currently, so I'm choosing to be thankful and rest in it. The other thing that kept me from being SO happy was a friend of mine in Haiti, who happened to lose his residence about the time we found ours. He had been sleeping on a porch outside a friend's home, and was asking me (via the internet) to help him find a dry place to sleep. Being so many miles away, and enjoying my nice new bed in my nice new house while he slept outside, made me feel horrible. Thankfully, friends and family came to the rescue and found a way for my Haitian friend to find employment and a room to rent. My sister says that God's grace is miraculously never-ending. That is to say, when we are blessed beyond measure, it doesn't mean that blessings are being withheld from someone else. There are always enough blessings to go around. But sometimes it feels as though we have too much. And lately, looking at our home, I feel that way. I pray that God never lets me become complacent here, but always reminds me of those in the family of Christ who need our help.


The kids seem to be having a great time adjusting to this new American life. They like 'Old McDonald's play land', and trips to the park, and playdates, and children's church programming. They like all the time they get with their extended family here. The one thing they don't like, however, is the lack of 'neighbors'. After we moved in to our new neighborhood, we went walking down our street every afternoon, trying to meet our neighbors. Rarely did we see anyone outside. I decided to bake some cookies and bread and pies and take them to our neighbors. This only partially worked. We met a few wonderful widows on our block, one of whom invited us in. We met the couple next door, who are very pleasant. But some people met our knocks on their door with uncertainty, eyeing us like we were surely trying to sell them something, and scurrying back inside after we exchanged a few words. Several people just flat out refused to open the door to us. Now, this was something incredible to me and the kids. Someone who doesn't want free pie?? Our Haitian neighbors (who would have been outside anyway), would have come knocking on our door for pie. In fact, I'm pretty sure that happened to me once or twice (or a hundred times) in Haiti. We have persisted in our afternoon walks, however, and have begun to meet more people on the block. No hoards of orphans in the garden to play with the kids, but we did find a few younger children that hopefully, in time, can be playmates.






No comments:

Post a Comment